Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Why do we do what we do?

Picture a computer programmer in your mind. Have one? Was it a man or a woman? Chances are it was a man. The numbers also support it, a large majority of college graduates in computer science are male. Why is it that men are drawn to computer science in far larger crowds than women? My first thought was, "Oh, that's easy, men and women are just intellectually different. Girls do English, guys do math." But on second thought I decided that much of that is just societal expectations. I think that women are just as prepared intellectually to excel in math and the sciences as men (having seen it firsthand in my classes). But I don't think we can just pass the whole thing off on societal expectations. I consulted the source of my knowledge regarding womankind, my fiance. Her opinion was that it was not the abilities, but the desires which are inherent to woman that steer them to areas other than computer science. She believes that women generally have an increased desire to care for and nurture others. They have a desire to witness first hand the positive effect they have on the life of another. Hence we have the large numbers of female teachers, therapists and nurses. I think she might be on to something. While the gap between the genders continues to narrow, there is something that will always make us different. It may not be so much in what we can and can't do, but more in what we want to do.

PS. Read the title of this post 10 times fast...sounds almost musical doesn't it? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

No comments: