Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mourn with those who mourn

I was impressed a few weeks back by students at Brigham Young University students who protested against the violent treatment and arrests of Buddhist monks in Burma (Myanmar). More than anything I was grateful to be made aware of how I could take action to help prevent further injustices by being directed to a website that suggested solutions. I just don't feel right knowing that a government has locked up and potentially even killed comedians and monks for peacefully protesting and that everyone I know doesn't even have a clue. We are so blessed as Americans to enjoy the freedom we have, but sometimes we can be so oblivious to the pain of those who don't enjoy the same blessings. Whenever I read about US soldiers losing their lives in Iraq it tugs at my heart. But it also sickens me that every time I get to the bottom of the article I find one sentence that reports the deaths of dozens of Iraqi civilians also killed in senseless acts of violence. The Washington Post recently published the results of a study that found an estimated 500 unexpected violent deaths of Iraqis are occurring everyday. How can we as human beings be so filled with hate for each other? And how is it that so many are unaware? Is it because we have more pressing concerns like the latest Hollywood hookup or celebrity DUI. Knowledge precedes action. We as Americans can do more to learn and care about the sufferings of others in this world.

No comments: