Thursday, September 13, 2007

Drowning in Information

The past day I spent some time thinking . Novel idea eh? I ignored the googles and the wikipedias of the world and faced my own thoughts and feelings. In doing so I realized how much the way we live out our lives parallels the frenzied pace of the world around us. When I was two years old my family made the 10 hours drive from Salt Lake to Phoenix. I was content to spend the whole time giggling as I played with a simple Sesame Street toy. Fast-forwarding twenty years finds me barely able to make the 10 minute walk to campus without headphones plugged into my ears or to eat dinner without flipping through dozens of tv channels. What happened? In part I've gotten so wrapped up into doing "something" that I replaced the actual "somethings" in my life with a bunch of inconsequential "nothings." Honestly, five years down the road I won't be thanking my lucky stars that I was able to listen to Miss Teen South Carolina's ramblings on Youtube or that I found out from ESPN about the latest athlete to be involved with steroids. Instead I think I'll be wishing I had spent more time discovering who I am and what I feel about life. We need to get better acquainted with the newest stranger in town, ourselves. Information is a liability until we start to do more than run to and fro picking up and dropping the nuggets that abound in the "Golden Age of Information."

No comments: